Catalyse method: tools of diagnosis, evaluation and observation accessible to the local actors of the sustainable territorial development
The Catalyse method offers tools of diagnosis, evaluation and observation that are accessible to the local actors of the sustainable territorial development. These tools are useful to draft relevant development projects, to efficiently manage these projects, then to valuate them and to estimate their impact.
These tools that are intended for the actors of the sustainable development respect and favour the principles of participation, global approach and partnership. They facilitate the mobilization of development partnerships that are composed of professionals who work in public services, private organizations and active voluntaries in associations. They guarantee a participative animation of the partnership.
To make tools that are accessible and useful for actors, Catalyse adapts fundamental methods and generic tools of wide-applicability. They are methods of statistical and spatial analysis of data, management and evaluation protocols, knowledge bases; systems of scientific and technical edition, geographical information systems that use the information and communication technologies. Catalyse especially uses the friendly software that are designed for the researchers in humanities and in social sciences and that were made by the TheMA research team in territorial intelligence:
- Pragma software that allows making quantitative examinations of surveys
- The Anaconda and Nuage software that allow making a quantitative analysis of data; they combine factorial analysis of correspondences and ascendant hierarchic classification
- The territorial information system Sitra, that was designed in partnership with avec the computer science Laboratory of the University of Franche-Comté.
The Catalyse method confronts three kinds of information and to do so uses three series of tools, according to the following diagram:
1. The diagnosis and evaluation tools mutualise and process the multi-field individual information to define needs profiles and to measure their importance, in order to offer the services that are adapted to these needs. Then, the same tools are used to valuate the actions that give services to people. They are the following ones:
- The guide of diagnosis and evaluation gathers the information individual according to a multi-sector approach. This guide is divided into themes that include several questions. To make the guide exploitation easier, each question has a closed nature: it allows choosing between several modalities of answer.
- A specific version of the PRAGMA software calculates quantitative dashboards.
- The software of multi-criteria qualitative analysis ANACONDA and NUAGE make a typology of people according to their needs profiles.
2. The repertory of services is a data basis it is possible to update and to consult online. It makes an inventory of the services to people that are accessible to the territory inhabitants. Each service is described thanks to a form which contents are structured in themes, descriptors and modalities, as the guide. The correspondence between the guide questions and the repertory descriptors allows comparing the diagnosed needs and the inventoried services. This confrontation between demand and offer allows valuating the relevance of the existing services and identifying the missing services, so as to adapt the services offer to the expressed needs.
3. The system of territorial indicators integrates a selection of information with a socio-economic nature that describe the territory and the territorial community. These data are constituted are provided by the statistical services of specialized institutions. These indicators are accessible online. The system of territorial indicators publishes needs, services and territorial indicators maps. They allow comparing the needs territorial distribution with the services territorial distribution and possibly with the territorial indicators to optimize the services localization.
The Pragma and Anaconda software can also be used to analyse the services and contextual indicators, in a quantitative qualitative way. Catalyse also offers a participative governance of the sustainable development partnerships.
The actors who constitute the development partnership are gathered in an operational group. It defines all the useful data, supervises the analyses and interprets the results. It drafts the multi-sector guide of diagnosis and evaluation, the repertory of services and makes the selection of the territorial indicators that are coherent with the guide. It regularly updates the documents or the data bases. The partners gather the data and share them for the analysis. A qualitative diagnosis identifies the main needs profiles whereas the quantitative sorting estimate the importance of the corresponding groups of persons.
Then, the actors participate to the results interpretation thematic workshops that are defined and constituted according to the needs profiles. The workshops confront the needs that were underlined by the diagnosis with the repertory of services to identify the deficiencies and non-adaptations of the services offer with respect to the needs. They the needs territorial distribution to the services one too. They confront the results to the territorial indicators to exploit the territory potentialities and to take into account its constraints.
This observation step leads to projects that are drafted within the project groups. Then, it allows regularly valuating the led actions. The partnership also guarantees the results publication, firstly on an extranet website that is intended for the partners, then on a public Internet website.
The diagnosis execution, its regular repetition, the constitution and permanent updating of the repertory and of the contextual indicators feed a shared and participative information system. Catalyse was experimented and developed in the framework of the following observatories:
- Eugenia Project, Ecos Ouverture programme, 2000-2002
- Website of Equal project IDREM, 2002-2004
- Development partnership “Exigence” in Franche-Comté (France), 2002 – 2005
- Transnational partnership IRIS, 2002 – 2005. Voilà les rapports sur le projet IRIS : Equalux & IRIS
- Development partnership Equal Mediaction (France), starting in 2005
- Employment Observatory of Huelva (Spain), starting in 1989, http://www.ole.uhu.es
- Mapa Social de Huelva, shared diagnosis, 1994, http://www.ole.uhu.es
- National observatory of migrations GORRION of ACCEM (Madrid, Spain), starting in 1997, http://www.accem.es and http://mti.univ-fcomte.fr/accem/ [update , le site été fermé]
- Observatory of the migrations in a rural area OPASI of Siguenza (Spain), starting in 1999, http://www.opasi.es/
- Observatory of migrations ODINA in Asturias (Gijon starting in 2000 & Oviedo starting in 2006, Spain), http://www.odina.info
- Observatory of migrations OPEGU of Guadalajara (Spain), starting in 2003, http://www.opegu.es/
- Observatory of migrations of Sevilla (Spain), starting in 2006, http://www.accem.es
- Observatory of migrations GOL of Leon (Spain), starting in 2006, http://www.accem.es
- Observatory of migrations of Valencia (Spain), starting in 2007, http://www.accem.es
- Observatory of migrations of Girona (Spain), starting in 2007, http://www.accem.es
- Observatory of inclusion and itineraries follow-up of the DGAS (Géneral Direction of Social Action, Portugal), 1997 - 2001
- Inter-commune observatory of Ormansag (Sellye, Hungary), 2001 - 2002, http://ormansag.celodin.hu/
- Community observatory OPTIMA of Seraing (Belgium), starting in 1998, http://www.asbloptima.be/ [update : le laboratoire a été dissout en juillet 2008]
- Inter-commune observatory INTEGRA for the inclusion in rural area of Durbuy (Belgium), starting in 1999, www.integra-plus.blogspot.fr and Equalux project (Province of Luxembourg), 2004 – 2006
- Diagnosis of the Mission for Inclusion of the Charleroi Region (itineraries follow-up), 1998 - 2001
- National Unit Leader Plus, Belgium, 2002 – 2005 and Walloon Animation Cell, 2002 – 2005
- Website of the resources of the so-called “town policy” (France), 1999 - 2000, http://i.ville.gouv.fr & http://sig.ville.gouv.fr/
- Observatory of Rural School (ORS), starting in 2000, www.grenoble.iufm.fr/rural/
- Design of the OSUA Adapei system, starting in 2004, http://www.adapeibesancon.asso.fr/
- Development partnership Equal of the Jardins de Cocagne (France), starting in 2005, http://www.reseaucocagne.asso.fr/
- Observatory AM-15 of the Doubs Model Action of the Third European programme of fight against poverty, 1989-1994, Besançon
- Evaluation of the Boutiques Solidarité (Solidarity Boutiques) of the Abbé-Pierre Fundation, 1992 - 1995
- Preliminary diagnosis of the Doubs Departmental Inclusion Plan, 1994
- Mosaïque observatory, 1995-1999, Doubs department, Besançon, France
- Evaluation of the Haltes des Amis de la Rue (itineraries follow-up), Paris, 1996 - 1998
- Diagnosis of the Yonne Inclusion Institute, March 1996, Le Phare, 1996 - 2000
- Shared diagnosis of the Concerted Action of Pontarlier (GEIQ), 1998 - 2001
- Evaluation and observatory of "Ligne Bleue 25", information service for old people, 1998 - 2001
- Observatory of nearness employment and itineraries follow-up, "Proxim", Morteau, France, 1999 - 2000
Observation and evaluation systems are presently made in the framework of the EQUAL programmes, in Franche-Comté with several organizations (ADAPEI, MEDIACTION, the so-called Jardins de COCAGNE, Gardens of Cocagne) that lead socio-professional insertion actions.
The harmonization of the European CATALYSE observatories is made in the caENTI framework.